First things first, thanks to all those of you who sent me some great feedback after the last post in November – ‘You Don’t Have To Be Sick To Get Better’. It obviously struck a chord with many of you and I appreciate you taking the time to tell me!
I came across this latest ‘something’ entitled ‘If It Is To Be It Is Up To Me’, whilst I was archiving some files and getting ready for the new year which is less than four weeks away at the time of writing this blog.
Goodness me where has the year gone… but perhaps that’s an idea for a future blog?
This action based ‘to-do’ list is one of those ‘something’s’, always relevant but especially as we start to reflect on another year past and a new one about to begin. The 10 points below always remind me that life isn’t a rehersal, that this is our one opportunity (as far as we know) and that ‘if it is to be it is up to me!’
1. Throw out non-essential numbers – this includes age, weight and height, let the doctors worry about them.
2. Keep only cheerful friends – mix with ‘energisers’, the ‘sappers’ only pull you down.
3. Keep learning – learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, basket-weaving, cake decoration, whatever. Never let your brain idle, I’ve seen the pain that can cause. ‘An idle mind is the devil’s workshop’ and the devil’s name is Alzheimer’s.
4. Enjoy the simple things in life – take a walk, see the ocean, go to the park, watch a sunrise or sunset, enjoy life’s ‘free’ attractions.
5. Laugh often, long and loud – laugh until you gasp for breath. I took my own advice and just re-watched ‘Trains, Planes and Automobiles’ with Steve Martin and John Candy, gasping for breath doesn’t do the laughter justice!
6. Accept that tears happen – endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourself. Be ALIVE whilst you are alive.
7. Surround yourself with what you love – whether it’s family, friends, pets, keepsakes, trophies, photographs, books, music, plants, hobbies, whatever.
8. Look after your body – if it is good, maintain it. If it is ailing, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
9. Don’t take guilt trips – take a trip to the shops, even to the next town or city; even to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.
10. Tell the people you love that you love them – at every opportunity. Like NOW!
Which 1, 2 or 3 of these actions would enrich YOUR life the most in 2013? Which would make the biggest difference to your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend; or to your children; or to your career; or to your personal happiness; or to your sense of fulfilment?
Why wait until 1st January to start your new year goals, why not do it TODAY and enjoy the benefits sooner? Remind yourself of the phrase ‘If It Is To Be It Is Up To Me’ regularly and often.
AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:
“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”.
Please feel free to share this post with friends, family and colleagues who you think may also be interested in the content.
Meantime onwards + upwards!